one of these days, i will sit down and write a proper post, because there are many words, many stories, brewing inside of me. it’s a bit dizzying to keep everything to myself. i forget what i was going to say, and everything is happening so quickly now that if i don’t commit it all to paper, i feel like i’m missing my life.
in the meantime, however, here’s a meme that i’ve seen a lot of places, but most recently at all & sundry. feel free to play along!
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
-bought a house
-became a mom
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
i don’t remember. i was too nauseated to make resolutions. this year? put down the cookies, pick up the free weights.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
my own vag did. she still doesn’t like to talk about it.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
more financial stability, and perhaps a flatter stomach.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
january 14: we found out we were having a girl sparky
february 13: we closed on our house
june 18: jude was born!
october 26: i turned 30.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. What was your biggest failure?
not being more financially responsible.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
massive bronchitis/sinus infection without the benefit of fabulous drugs.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
a baby! (well, we paid for jude’s adoption.) also, a new lens.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
h, who is the best co-mom there ever was, and her labor partnering abilities are unparalleled.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
our dog clem, who is very unhappy with the existence of the baby.
14. Where did most of your money go?
house. baby. unpaid maternity leave.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
aside from the baby i keep blabbering on about? the election! digital cable! turning 30!
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
the whole bon iver record.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? wash.
b) thinner or fatter? thinner!
c) richer or poorer? poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
savoring the days of just me and h, with all our free time before we had a baby.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
feeling guilty about things i cannot control
20. How did you spend Christmas?
at home with h and uncle g, jude, our friend t, jude’s gabby. h cooked a fabulous meal, and surprisingly, no one drank to excess!
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
ever deeply with my h.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
daily show and colbert, natch. also got really into dexter, which inspired some effed up dreams.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
i am not a hater, but i came pretty close with mccain.
24. What was the best book you read?
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
ooo bon iver, as you may recall. also of note, fleet foxes, she & him, vampire weekend, & yael naim.
26. What did you want and get?
bpa-free nalgene, laid, and a mostly drama-free labor and birth experience. (not in any particular order.)
27. What did you want and not get?
an ipod touch.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
it didn’t come out this year, but i really enjoyed waitress this year.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
i enjoyed my new firepit with friends, including big jude. and, as i said before, i was 30.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
happier finances and more time to write. the ipod touch would’ve been nice too.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
32. What kept you sane?
dried mangoes, which also kept me regular.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
prop 8 and all its equally outrageous siblings in ar, az, and fl.
35. Who did you miss?
36. Who was the best new person you met?
one judith marguerite.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
one should probably have stable income before having a baby. jobhunting with a newborn is just wrong and impossible.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“And when you write a poem
I know the words
I know the sounds
Before you write it down
When you wear your clothes
I wear them too
I wear your shoes
And your jacket too
I always knew you
In your mothers arms”
–sufjan stevens’ “vito’s ordination song”